Liverpool's £50m Minteh Bid Rejected: Brighton Hold Firm as Transfer Saga Intensifies
Reds Face Uphill Battle to Land Gambian Winger
Liverpool have had a £50 million bid for Yankuba Minteh rejected by Brighton & Hove Albion, according to multiple reports on Thursday. The Merseyside club view the 22-year-old as a key target to fill the void left by Mohamed Salah's departure, but the Seagulls have made it clear they will not sell their prized asset on the cheap—especially with the winger currently sidelined through injury.
The bid, first reported by The Athletic's David Ornstein, was turned down by Brighton, who are under no financial pressure to sell. Minteh, who joined the Seagulls from Newcastle United for £30 million two years ago, has scored nine goals in 66 Premier League appearances. He is currently recovering from leg surgery after suffering an injury in a pre-season friendly against Roma earlier this month and could be out for another eight weeks.
Despite the setback, Liverpool are expected to return with an improved offer. According to Ben Jacobs of talkSPORT, a bid in the region of £60 million would likely be enough to persuade Brighton to part with the Gambia international. Jacobs said: "If they hit around £60m, I think that would be a very difficult offer for Brighton to turn down."
Brighton's Stance: "Important Players" Not for Sale at Any Price
Brighton manager Fabian Hürzeler addressed the speculation in his pre-match press conference on Thursday, acknowledging that interest in his star players is inevitable but insisting the club will not be bullied into selling. "They're important players for us, because they were a big part of our journey over the last two years," Hürzeler said of Minteh and midfielder Carlos Baleba, who is also the subject of intense transfer interest from Manchester United.
"But in football, we all have to understand that it's normal if you're successful as a team, if the team is doing well, then the individual can shine, and then there will be a big ask for our players. That's part of our identity. That's part of my job here. And that was clear for everyone that this might happen during a busy transfer window."
Hürzeler added: "We all know how important these kind of players are for me, but good achievements create offers and a lot of attention, and so therefore we have to wait now. The situation will evolve. I'm not here to complain, I'm here to find solutions. And with my players I'm sure we will find good solutions."
Brighton have already lost Danny Welbeck to Chelsea this summer, and with Kaoru Mitoma also injured, they are keen to keep their attacking options intact. The club's resolve appears firm, but the lure of a significant profit on a player they bought for £30 million could test their resolve.
Liverpool's Search for a Salah Replacement: The Bigger Picture
The Void Left by Mohamed Salah
Liverpool's interest in Minteh comes as no surprise. The club is desperate to add firepower to their forward line after Mohamed Salah's departure to Saudi Arabia earlier this summer. The Egyptian king's exit left a gaping hole on the right wing, a position where Minteh has thrived under Hürzeler's system.
The Reds have already brought in Victor Muñoz for £34.5 million, a versatile forward who can play across the front line, but they are still short of elite wide options. Manager Andoni Iraola has made it clear he wants two new wide forwards before the transfer deadline on September 1.
Barcola Remains Priority, But Minteh Is a Viable Alternative
Paris Saint-Germain's Bradley Barcola remains Liverpool's top target, but negotiations have stalled over the Frenchman's £145 million valuation. Liverpool have reportedly put €115 million (£98 million) on the table, but PSG are holding out for £125 million or more. That has forced Liverpool to consider alternatives, with Minteh emerging as a more affordable option—though not by much.
Liverpool have also cooled their interest in PSG's Ibrahim Mbaye, another young winger, after the French champions quoted £43-50 million for the 18-year-old. The Reds were only willing to pay £30 million, so they have shifted focus back to Minteh.
Minteh's Injury: A Complicating Factor
Minteh's current injury is a major complication. The winger is expected to be out for two to three months, meaning he would not be available until late October at the earliest. That would represent a significant period on the sidelines for a player Liverpool would be paying a premium for. However, Liverpool are reportedly willing to look past the injury, viewing Minteh as a long-term investment rather than an immediate fix.
Brighton's medical team has confirmed Minteh is making good progress, but the club is in no rush to sell a player they believe will be fully fit and firing by the time he returns. The Seagulls have a history of holding out for maximum value on their star assets, and this case appears to be no different.
The Transfer Market's New Reality: Clubs Refuse to Sell Cheap
Brighton's Business Model: Sell High, Rebuild Smart
Brighton have become one of the Premier League's most admired clubs for their transfer strategy. They buy young, develop them, and sell at a premium—but only when the price is right. Their rejection of Liverpool's £50 million bid is a clear message: they will not be forced into selling a key player for anything less than their valuation.
The Seagulls have already lost Welbeck to Chelsea, and they are at risk of losing Baleba to Manchester United. However, they have reinvested wisely, bringing in players like Diego Gomez and Stefanos Tzimas to bolster their squad. Hürzeler's side are expected to be competitive this season, and keeping Minteh would be a major boost.
Liverpool's Determination: Will They Pay Up?
Liverpool's pursuit of Minteh is part of a broader strategy to rebuild their attack. The club have been linked with a host of wide players, but they are determined not to overpay. Their approach for Minteh suggests they see him as a value-for-money option compared to Barcola, but they may have to dig deep to get a deal done.
The Reds have a history of walking away from deals if they feel the price is too high, but the pressure is mounting. With the transfer window closing on September 1, they need to act fast if they want to land their targets. Minteh's agent has reportedly told Liverpool that the player is open to a move, which could give the Reds an edge in negotiations.
The Broader Implications for the Premier League
This transfer saga is a reflection of the current state of the Premier League transfer market. Clubs are increasingly reluctant to sell their best players unless they receive astronomical fees. This has led to a situation where even mid-table clubs like Brighton can demand £60 million for a player who has scored nine goals in two seasons.
The trend is unlikely to change anytime soon. With the new financial regulations in place, clubs are more cautious about spending, but the demand for top talent remains high. Liverpool's willingness to bid £50 million for an injured player shows just how desperate they are to find a suitable replacement for Salah.
What Happens Next? The Likely Outcome
Liverpool Weighing a Second Bid
Reports suggest Liverpool are expected to make an improved offer for Minteh in the coming days. The club's recruitment team is working closely with Iraola to assess whether it's worth going in with a second bid, and all signs point to them doing so. A bid of £60 million could be the magic number that persuades Brighton to sell.
Brighton's Options: Sell or Hold
Brighton are in a difficult position. They have a player who is injured and might not be fully fit for another two months. Selling him for £60 million would represent a significant profit and allow them to reinvest in other areas. However, they also know that Minteh is a talented player who could help them achieve a top-half finish this season.
Hürzeler has already shown he can adapt, and the club's recruitment team has a track record of finding gems. If they sell Minteh, they could use the funds to bring in a replacement who might be even better. But that is a gamble.
The Player's Perspective: A Dream Move
For Minteh, the chance to join Liverpool is a dream come true. The 22-year-old has reportedly told friends that he would love to play for the Reds, and he has given his blessing for a move. However, he is also respectful of Brighton's position and understands that the two clubs need to agree on a fee.
Minteh's injury means he won't be rushed back, but he is confident that once he is fit, he can make an impact at Anfield. Liverpool's fans are eager to see a new star emerge, and Minteh could be that player.
The Transfer Window: A Race Against Time
Countdown to September 1
With the transfer window closing on September 1, Liverpool have less than two weeks to get deals over the line. They are also still pursuing Barcola, but that deal appears to be stuck in mud. If they cannot land their top target, Minteh could become their main focus.
Liverpool have also been linked with a move for Curtis Jones, who is reportedly close to joining Inter Milan for £30 million. That deal would free up funds for new signings, and the Reds could use that money to bolster their bid for Minteh.
The Risk of Missing Out
If Liverpool fail to sign Minteh, they may have to turn to other targets. The market is thin, and many of the top options have already moved. Liverpool's inability to land a marquee signing this summer has already frustrated some fans, and a failure to bring in a winger could be seen as a major failure.
However, the club is known for its patience in the transfer market. They have often waited until the last minute to seal deals, and they may be willing to do the same with Minteh. The next few days will be crucial in determining whether this deal happens.
A Story That's Far From Over
This transfer saga is far from over. Liverpool have made their intentions clear, but Brighton are holding firm. The coming days will see more twists and turns as both clubs jockey for position. For now, fans can only wait and see how it unfolds.
In the meantime, Liverpool will be hoping to get their season off to a strong start. They face Newcastle United in their opening Premier League match, and a win would ease some of the pressure. But the spotlight will remain on the transfer window, and Minteh's name will be on everyone's lips until a deal is done or the window slams shut.
Conclusion: A Defining Moment for Both Clubs
The rejection of Liverpool's £50 million bid for Yankuba Minteh is a defining moment in this summer's transfer window. It shows that Brighton are no longer a selling club that rolls over at the first sign of interest. They have a plan, and they are sticking to it.
For Liverpool, this is a test of their resolve. They need a winger, and they are willing to pay top dollar. But they also need to be smart. Spending over £60 million on an injured player is a risk, but it could pay off in the long run.
The coming days will determine the outcome. One thing is certain: this story is not over, and it will have a major impact on both clubs' seasons. Liverpool fans will be hoping for a positive resolution, while Brighton supporters will be praying their star man stays. Only time will tell who emerges victorious.
This article was written based on reports from The Guardian, The Standard, Football365, and other sources. For more on Premier League transfer news, check out our Ligue 1 season preview or the latest Liverpool weather update.
Comments