Brock Lesnar Returns to WWE Raw, Attacks Oba Femi in Retirement Ruse
The wrestling world was rocked on Monday night as Brock Lesnar made a stunning return to WWE Raw, violently attacking Oba Femi and exposing his recent retirement as an elaborate ruse. The Beast Incarnate, who seemingly left his boots and gloves in the ring after losing to Femi at WrestleMania 42 in April, reappeared during Femi's open challenge segment in Greensboro, North Carolina.
As Femi prepared for his signature pose, Lesnar stormed the ring and delivered four thunderous F5s, leaving the NXT champion sprawled on the canvas. The attack came just weeks after Lesnar was moved to WWE's alumni section on its official website, fueling speculation that his legendary career had ended. However, Monday's ambush confirmed what many insiders had suspected: Lesnar's retirement was a carefully crafted storyline.
The Aftermath: Paul Heyman Steps In
Raw General Manager Adam Pearce was visibly frustrated by the chaos, having already filed retirement paperwork on Lesnar's behalf. But when Pearce retreated to his office, he found Paul Heyman waiting. Heyman, Lesnar's longtime advocate, handed Pearce a contract already signed by Lesnar for a rematch at Clash in Italy, scheduled for later this month in Turin. Heyman boldly declared that if Pearce could get Femi to sign, he would have the biggest rematch in history.
Why This Matters: The Stakes of Lesnar's Return
Lesnar's return is not just a shock twist; it reshapes the WWE landscape heading into a major premium live event. Femi defeated Lesnar cleanly at WrestleMania 42, a result that was meant to elevate the rising star. By attacking Femi and calling him out, Lesnar is demanding redemption—and possibly reclaiming his place among WWE's elite.
The rematch at Clash in Italy now carries immense weight. For Femi, it is a chance to prove his WrestleMania victory was no fluke and to avenge a humiliating assault. For Lesnar, it is about legacy. At 48, the former UFC champion has little left to prove, but a loss to Femi—followed by the retirement ruse—suggests he is not ready to fade away.
Paul Heyman's Role in the Deception
Heyman's involvement adds another layer of intrigue. In the weeks after WrestleMania, Heyman told TMZ Sports that he did not know Lesnar planned to retire, even taking shots at Harvey Levin. "If I knew he was gonna retire, would have I gone on record saying he's gonna dominate the next 15 years?" Heyman said. The interview now appears to be part of a carefully orchestrated plan to sell the retirement storyline.
Beyond Lesnar: A Loaded WWE Raw
The May 18 episode of Raw was packed with significant developments beyond Lesnar's return. Roman Reigns accepted a Tribal Combat match against Jacob Fatu for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship at Clash in Italy. Fatu, who attacked Reigns last week, issued the challenge after being confronted by The Usos. The winner will not only be champion but will receive formal acknowledgment as tribal chief from the loser.
In other action, Seth Rollins defeated Austin Theory in the main event, despite interference from Logan Paul. Rollins countered a pin attempt into a Pedigree for the win. Becky Lynch and Sol Ruca set up a match at Saturday Night's Main Event after a heated promo exchange, while Finn Balor beat JD McDonagh in a street fight.
Broader Implications: What Lesnar's Return Means for WWE
Lesnar's comeback signals that WWE is leaning heavily on star power to drive interest in its international premium live events. Clash in Italy, which takes place on May 30, now features two marquee matches: Lesnar vs. Femi and Reigns vs. Fatu. Both contests carry deep personal stakes and could define the summer for the company.
The Revival of the 'Beast Incarnate' Character
Lesnar's retirement ruse also highlights WWE's willingness to blur the lines between reality and fiction. Moving his profile to the alumni section gave the story credibility, making his return all the more shocking. This approach—known as a "worked shoot" in wrestling parlance—generated massive buzz across social media, with WWE’s post about the return amassing millions of views within hours.
For Oba Femi, the attack positions him as a top-tier babyface. He was already on a meteoric rise after winning the NXT Championship and defeating Lesnar. Now, he has a chance to solidify his status as a main-event player. For Lesnar, the rematch offers a chance to end his career on his own terms—or pass the torch definitively.
Conclusion: Clash in Italy Looms Large
With less than two weeks until Clash in Italy, the WWE roster is buzzing with anticipation. Lesnar's return, combined with the Tribal Combat match, promises to make the event one of the year's most anticipated. Femi has yet to respond publicly, but it is almost certain he will accept the challenge. If he does, the match will be a collision of eras: the established legend versus the rising star.
As for Lesnar, the Beast Incarnate has proven once again that he is never truly gone. Whether he ultimately walks away after Clash or continues his career, one thing is clear: Brock Lesnar's legacy is still being written.
In related news, the recent controversy surrounding Claressa Shields slapping Alycia Baumgardner shows that heated rivalries are not limited to wrestling. Meanwhile, A.J. Brown trade rumors continue to heat up as the NFL offseason progresses.
Comments